Thursday, 29 September 2016

POWER REST

In my quest to find better and more efficient ways of relaxing, I got inspired by this method of relaxation. Recently I came across an article talking about Polyphasic sleep. A simple google search would yield some nice sites.

 Basically with this type of sleep, we get to sleep for only 2hrs a day and still function with reasonable efficiency. Although there are variations on the method, what really caught my attention was the version propounded by R. Buckminster Fuller, he termed it Dymaxion sleep.

In uncle Bucky's method we take nap for 30 minutes every six hours throughout a 24 hour period. Although I don't think I'm disciplined enough to engage in this method, If one is medically in order, they can try it to test it out and tell me about their experience, I would really like to hear some stories. Anyway, what Illumined me after reading about this kind of rest is that my panic over getting my solid 8 hours of sleep vanished. I saw that one could exist and function without much sleep if one does it technically.

After realizing that I could do with my 5 hours average daily bedtime, I researched into ways I could recharge during the day, since I feel groggy most of the time when I get just that 5 hours. I investigated power napping, where one naps for about 15 to 20 mins during the day but found out that I could not get to sleep that easily so I decided to get creative and discovered Power Rest for myself.

This is how it works: During the day or before afternoon, you lay down or sit in the most comfortable position that suits you. You do not even need to lie on your back and face the ceiling. I personally find it difficult to relax in this way. So, the posture you choose to relax in is entirely up to you, so get creative, the only requirement is that it must be comfortable.





 After getting into your favorite position, you can set a timer. I find this very convenient because it reduces my anxiety over the flow of time and enables me relax better. After setting your timer and getting into position, you should close your eyes and try to stop as much of your thinking processes as you can manage to do without strain.
When thoughts come to your mind, simply ignore them or stop them if you can. Many thoughts will come to your mind but you should try your best not to pick on any thoughts to focus on, just relax your mind. Next is the eye position. you get conscious of your eyes looking through closed eye lids. This is very powerful as I find it easier to stop thinking when my attention is directed towards my eyes, a physical part of my body and not the rest of my brain or my body.

After 15 or 20 mins, these are the times I find helpful, come out of your rest and resume your activity, there will be a good chance that your feel refreshed. If you do not feel refreshed, do not go back to resting immediately except you really feel like you should do so, even if you do not immediately feel refreshed, maybe continuing your work for a few mins could help you determine if your were refreshed or not.

If you still find yourself groggy after this you should schedule another short rest in about 3 hours. I find out that after even the most sleepless night spent working, 2 of these Power Rest sessions are enough to get me going during the day, at least with a little coffee in the mornings.

Try it out and tell me about your experience in the comment, we could debug and improve this method together. Happy Power Resting.

No comments:

Post a Comment